Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Cleopatra: Liz's Eyes, Angelina's Lips....


Well, here we have it. Angelina Jolie's officially signed on to play Cleopatra in the upcoming film, as well as the awesome David Fincher, Best Oscar nominee and awesome all around director of Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Social Network, Fight Club, and the upcoming Girl With a Dragon Tattoo, Se7en....and so on and so forth and we just have to admit this director's FANTASTIC.

From what I hear, though, the film's producer, Scott Rudin, wants to focus less on the love affair between Cleo and Marc, still uncasted, and really portray her as the business and politically-savvy Queen of Egypt. Which I think will go well--Angelina's too much of her own woman to be a romantic character. You never see her in these films where she falls in love, then gets into all kinds of shenanigans during the film and gets married to her Charming in the end. She's not that kind of woman.

She is, however, the leading woman in Alexander, Salt, Changeling, Beowulf, Wanted, A Mighty Heart, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow--every single one of these films, and all of her other not-above mentioned films has she ever played a damsel in distress, and I think I have to respect that of her. She's her own woman. She is on scene as a powerful woman who doesn't really need a man, but has one anyway because she just so happens to enjoy the company. Even in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, she kicked serious butt, and not because she had to, but because it was who she was.


But back to the question at hand, and even People Magazine have actually mentioned it first: who will be her Marc? I mean, the focus will be on her awesomeness power to rule, right? Well, Marc Antony can't be wimpy either, or else the whole film loses momentum and we're back to Alexander, where we couldn't help but wonder if Alexander the Great really was a mama's boy (though I really don't think Colin Farrell's performance was horrendous. I give him major props for battling this strenuous role head on). They're considering Brad Pitt, which I really wouldn't mind--chemistry will be sizzling between the two. Daniel Craig would just make me melt--I do love that man. The two people I really don't see, and I hope people would agree with me, would be George Clooney, since he doesn't do period pieces well, and Colin Firth, who I just can't see it. I'm not denying Colin's incredible acting chops. He's got them to spare and feed an entire small 3rd world country. What I'm saying is if Angelina's who they picked to be Cleo, then whoever they pick for Marc's gotta have action film experience, and Colin just doesn't have it. So basically it's someone who's good at period pieces like Colin, and someone who's good at action films like George. And good looking like both. Hm.....any thoughts on who should it be?


No comments:

Post a Comment