Monday, March 28, 2011

Beautiful Boy

I love Michael Sheen. I do. I think he's one of the most versatile actors around today. He's been a vampire, a werewolf, a Prime Minister, a Nixon interviewer, a white rabbit, and a blood diamond monster mogul. He's been everything and everywhere and does it with such convincing grace that I don't know half the time whether to hate him or to love him. His brilliantness (yes, yes, made up word) is just vivacious on screen that it's hard to really tear away from him.

I love Maria Bello. I do. She happens to be one of my favorite actresses, ever since Coyote Ugly. She's also done everything and been everywhere, and one of my favorite films of hers is A History of Violence. She was just fantastic, as well as The Cooler with William H. Macy. Also brilliant.

Now, in this movie, I get to love them together. A story about what happens to the family after their only son is the gunman in a shootout at his college, how his repercussions fall upon them and how they cope and deal with the fact that they're either incredibly hated, incredibly pitied, and just thrust into a negative windstorm. How do they rebuild and move on from such a tragedy? Director Shawn Ku really has the actors open up to us as if they really were the ones to lose a child in such an atrocious way. It's hard not to cry with Bello, it's hard not to feel the pain Sheen feels. Congratulations to both for participating in an incredible Indie film.

No comments:

Post a Comment